Having begun riding at the age of 4, Erin Van Steenburgh has dedicated herself to her riding, competing and teaching. In her early years, Erin was an active member of 4-H and the Morgan Youth program, competing in horse shows, horse knowledge competitions, speech competitions and judging competitions.
As a teenager, Erin represented Massachusetts twice in national 4-H competition as well as competing nationally in the Grand National Morgan Youth of the Year competition, which she won in 1994. At this time she was competing her Morgans throughout the region in saddleseat and driving competitions, winning many championships along the way.
During her sophomore year at Bowdoin College, Erin decided to change the direction of her riding career and began studying dressage with her Morgan stallion, Syndicat Legaltender. After graduation, her passion for dressage led her to a working student position with Olympian Lendon Gray and ultimately her decision to make Morgans and dressage her career.
Furnace Brook Farm was born and Erin continued her own riding as well as beginning her career teaching children the joy of riding and caring for horses.
In 2016, Erin received her PATH International Certification to teach Therapeutic Riding. She looks forward to expanding her business to serve the needs of many children and adults with varying challenges. Please see the Therapeutic Riding Page for more information.
- American Morgan Horse Association's National Youth of the Year
- Won 4 phase competition (speech, exam, judging, riding)
- Awarded one month anywhere in the world to act as representative of Morgan breed
- Chose Australia and New Zealand
- Student of Susan Jaccoma, Grand Prix rider and student of Olympian Robert Dover.
- World Champion Training Level Dressage with Syndicat Legaltender
- Four Month Working Student Position with Olympian Lendon Gray
- Daily lessons with own horse
- Given 2 schoolmasters to ride
- Warmed up Lendon's competition horses
- Two Week Course at German National Riding School in Bremen, Germany
- Received daily dressage and jumping lessons from head trainer
- Student of Renate Lansburgh, a USDF Certified Instructor through 4th level and a licensed dressage judge.
- Student of Dee Loveless, a Grand Prix rider and licensed dressage judge.
- PATH International Registered Instructor to teach Therapeutic Riding
After apprenticing under Erin to receive her Massachusetts Riding Instructors license, Kristi joined the staff of Furnace Brook Farm in September of 2005. Kristi has ridden and competed successfully throughout her life, winning many championships at both local and A rated shows. In 2006, Kristi and her Morgan gelding, Taproot Old Glory, were crowned the Reserve World Champion in First Level dressage at the Morgan Grand National in Oklahoma City. In 2007, Kristi and Taproot Old Glory continued their winning ways capturing the Morgan World Championship in Training Level as well as winning two National USEF Championships and two Regional USEF Championships.
In 2008 Kristi purchased the Morgan gelding Fenway Park as her next dressage partner. Kristi has trained Carl primarily herself with supplemental instruction from Dee Loveless, Ida Anderson and Gretchen Demone. Kristi and Carl have won many awards both regionally and nationally. In the winter of 2012, Kristi and Carl traveled to Florida to train under Ida Anderson to solidify their second level movements and prepare Carl for third level. Kristi continues to train with Carl and hopes to compete in third level soon.
Kristi's role at Furnace Brook has evolved over the years. In the beginning, Kristi focused primarily on beginner riders but now Erin and Kristi share the responsibility of all the riders – regardless of level. Kristi also shares the training of the horses with Erin and is at all horse shows coaching riders through competition. Kristi bases her teaching on the important concepts of balance, muscle development and the development of the rider's seat. She is successful in teaching these important concepts in fun and interactive ways for all her riders. Her upbeat positive personality is appreciated by all at Furnace Brook.
Awards with American Morgan Horse, Taproot Old Glory 118701
Award with American Morgan Horse, Fenway Park 167014
- 2006 AMHA Dressage Seat Silver Medal Morgan Regional
- 2006 Morgan Grand National and World Championship Reserve World Champion First level
- 2007 Morgan Grand National and World Championship Champion Training level
- 2007 USEF Morgan Dressage National HOTY Training level
- 2007 USEF Morgan Dressage National HOTY First level
- 2007 USEF Morgan Dressage Regional HOTY Champion Training level
- 2007 USEF Morgan Dressage Regional HOTY Champion First level
- 2007 New England Morgan Regional Championship Reserve Champion First level
- 2007 New England Morgan Circuit Champion First Level
- 2009 USEF Morgan Dressage National HOTY 4th place Training level
- 2009 USEF Morgan Dressage National HOTY 7th place First level
- 2010 USDF All Breeds Awards Reserve National Champion Training Level
- 2010 New England Morgan Regional Circuit year end Reserve Champion Training Level
- 2010 New England Morgan Regional Circuit year end Reserve Champion First Level
- 2010 New England Regional Morgan Horse Championships-Training Level Champion
- 2010 Morgan Grand National and World Championship 3rd place Training level
- 2011 New England Morgan Regional Championship Reserve Champion First level
- 2009 USDF Rider Performance Award Training Level
- 2009 USDF Rider Performance Award First Level